ASSEMBLY ROXY THEATRE AWARD
Applications for the 2019 ART Award are now closed. However, you can still apply to be part of Assembly Festival 2019. For more information please return to our Perform With Us page.
The Assembly Roxy Theatre Award returns to support Scottish new writing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
The ART award, now in its third year, was introduced in 2017 to support new work by emerging Scottish and Scotland-based artists and companies, wishing to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. As part of our commitment to creating space in the city of Edinburgh for new work by emerging Scottish and Scotland-based artists and companies, Assembly will be providing mentorship and in-kind support valued at approximately £5,500, as well as rehearsal space and access to our team’s resources. Most importantly, this opportunity comes with a guaranteed slot - with no fixed venue fees or deposits – at our year-round home, Assembly Roxy, as part of our 2019 Edinburgh Festival Fringe programme. Historically ART Award Productions have attracted press and reviews from major publications across Scotland and the UK.
Applications are now open and will close 12:00 noon, Monday 7 January. Please ensure you have read all sections of this page before applying.
Eligible applicants must be a Scotland-based independent theatre company or performance practitioner.
A full current draft of an unperformed script or performance structure in the case of devised, physical or improvised work.
Running time of no more than 60 minutes.
The production must be available to commit to the full run of Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2019 (31 July – 26 August)
A confirmed creative team and proposed production budget.
Content of the Award
Confirmed programme slot in Roxy Downstairs as part of the 2019 Edinburgh Festival Fringe Assembly Festival programme.
No minimum venue fee for the Festival Fringe season, alleviating up-front risk and deposits.
Three weeks Rehearsal space in Roxy Downstairs.
Registration and Joint Venue Brochure entry to be paid for by Assembly Festival.
Producing and Technical support through the production period, including budgetary and fundraising advice.
Press support and guidance for devising a campaign for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, including assistance with writing a press release.
Marketing and advertising support for creating a campaign for Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
In-kind fomex poster boards across selected Assembly sites.
A technical operator for the season.
Street team for the season.
Advice and guidance on the future life of the work presented.
Total support valued at approximately £5,500.
Roxy Downstairs Venue Information
- Roxy Downstairs is an end-on theatre space with a raked auditorium of 60 seats.
- THE STAGE
- The performance area is 5m wide by 3m deep and is covered in black dance floor.
- The stage is raised 90mm above floor level.
- Black box, no wing space and no crossover.
- The underside of the grid is at 4.4m from the stage.
- There are no flying facilities.
- LIGHTING AND SOUND
- The lighting and sound control positions are located together at the rear left of the auditorium.
- it may be possible for one person to operate.
- DRESSING ROOM
- This is shared by all companies performing in the venue and is located to the rear of the venue separated from the theatre by a standard sized single door.
- There is no backstage storage area; any props will be stored in the dressing room and we recommend that all companies keep their scenery/props requirements to an absolute minimum.
- The venue is on the lower ground floor with access from the street by way of a staircase.
- ALL SET ITEMS ARE REQUIRED TO EASILY PASS THROUGH A STANDARD DOOR 97cm wide x 2m high.