Work with Us
Assembly Festival set the standard for theatre, comedy, and entertainment and are one of the largest multi-venue operators on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. We present high calibre work in temporary theatre spaces across the city ranging from lecture theatres and churches to tents and shipping containers. 2020 marks Assembly’s 40th year, and we will present a programme of over 200 shows in comedy, theatre, dance and music drawn from over 12 countries across 5 hubs including the magnificent Assembly Hall, our year-round home – Assembly Roxy, Assembly Rooms, George Square and surrounding spaces and Assembly Checkpoint.
Assembly Festival supports the principle of equal opportunity in employment and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, or religious or political beliefs. To avoid discriminatory practice in the recruitment of new employee’s, selection for the interview is based entirely on job-related criteria.
Applications for Fringe 2020 will open in early spring 2020.
Roxy Technical Manager
Role: Roxy Technical Manager
Reports to: Operations Director
Direct Relationships: Artistic Director, General Manager, Roxy Manager, Assembly Technical Manager, Finance Manager, Programming Team
Direct Reports: Technical Staff as required
Assembly operates the Assembly Roxy on a year-round basis providing Edinburgh with a multi-functional arts centre, with spaces to rent for theatrical, wedding, personal and corporate needs as well as setting the standard for theatre, comedy, and entertainment on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Working with Assembly's Management Team, the Roxy Technical Manager will focus on working with the Roxy Manager to accommodate and present the commercial and non-commercial events, theatre work, music concerts and other shows within the Roxy throughout the year. During the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the role will focus on supporting the Programming and Technical teams in the delivery of the Festival shows in the three Roxy spaces as well as Checkpoint, and being the primary technical point of contact for each of the incoming companies. The role will also involve assisting where necessary with management of the Assembly Festival Warehouse and any additional theatres that may also be managed by Assembly.
Key responsibilities include:
- Co-ordinating and delivering a high standard of technical support to visiting companies. Liaising with the visiting companies with regards their technical requirements ensuring the most appropriate use of Assembly's technical equipment, staff, and venues, ensuring clear communication of all relevant information.
- Working with the Roxy Manager to ensure that events are suitably staffed and to assist in all aspects of staff contracting as required.
- Working alongside the Roxy Manager to provide quotes for visiting companies as required.
- Liaising with local technical suppliers, ensuring that appropriate equipment is sourced, delivered, managed and returned on time and within budget.
- Organising and co-ordinating production meetings for events and shows as required.
- Using suitable drawing packages to ensure technical specs for the building are current and produce accurate plans for incoming events.
- Operate shows were required, and act as the technical liaison for all incoming companies.
- Maintaining the upkeep of the building and its infrastructure, advising on appropriate equipment that should be purchased and obtaining quotes as required.
- Maintaining all technical equipment including PAT of electrical equipment and LOLER testing of all rigging equipment, this will include the overseeing of all Assembly equipment at the Assembly Warehouse
- Communicating with the local Council to ensure the building meets current standards and regulations, and all necessary certificates are renewed annually.
- Supporting the Operations Director and Assembly Technical Senior Management Team with the pre-production of Assembly Festival shows and events as required for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- Overseeing the asset registry programme at Assembly Festival Warehouse, staffing and comprising budgets/time frames as required.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required.
Essential personal requirements:
- At least 5 years’ experience within the theatrical production industry, preferably with a similar role.
- Bright, proactive and energetic, with a demonstrable record in the delivery of productions at a high artistic and technical level.
- Competent ability to use CAD packages (AutoCAD or Vectorworks).
- An excellent communicator with the ability to impart enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Able to demonstrate an organised yet flexible approach to tasks whilst remaining calm under pressure.
- Demonstrable ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Dedicated and committed with excellent focus and organizational skills, and an ability to project manage several projects simultaneously.
- Proven ability to work within allocated budgets.
- Awareness and experience of UK Health and Safety legislation, specifically within the entertainment industry.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required.
Renumeration: Salary will be circa £25,000 dependent on experience.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to the HR Manager, [email protected] with the subject ‘Roxy Technical Manager’.
CLOSING DATE for applications is 5 pm, 27 October.