ASSEMBLY ROXY THEATRE AWARD
Applications for the 2020 ART Award are now open!
The Assembly Roxy Theatre (ART) Award returns to support Scottish new writing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
The ART Award, now in its fourth year, supports new work by emerging Scottish and Scotland-based theatre-makers, wishing to present work at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. As part of our commitment to creating space in Edinburgh for new Scottish theatre, Assembly will be providing a guaranteed slot - with no fixed venue fees or deposits – at our year-round home, Assembly Roxy, as part of our 2020 Edinburgh Festival Fringe programme. The award includes in-kind support and mentorship valued at approximately £5,500, as well as rehearsal space and access to our team’s resources.
Previous ART Award shows have attracted press coverage and reviews from major publications across Scotland and the UK including The BBC, The Guardian, The List, The Scotsman, The Skinny and The Stage.
Assembly Festival sets the standard for theatre, comedy and entertainment on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and in 2020 we celebrate our 40th year, following a record-breaking season in 2019. We have an international reputation for the quality of our artistic programme, presenting large scale productions and showcasing new talent across five locations in Edinburgh each August.
• Eligible applicants must be a Scotland-based independent theatre company or performance practitioner.
• Please provide a full current draft of an unperformed script or performance structure in the case of devised, physical or improvised work.
• The production must have a running time of no more than 60 minutes.
• The production must be available to commit to the full run of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2020 (5 – 31 August 2020)
• Please provide details of a confirmed creative team, proposed production budget and proposed marketing plan.
Content of the Award
• Confirmed programme slot in Roxy Downstairs as part of the 2020 Edinburgh Festival Fringe Assembly Festival programme.
• No minimum venue fee or deposits for the Festival Fringe season, alleviating up-front risk.
• Three weeks in-kind rehearsal space in Roxy Downstairs.
• Fringe Society registration and Joint Venue Brochure entry paid for by Assembly Festival.
• Producing and technical support throughout the production period, including budgetary and fundraising advice.
• Dramaturgical support.
• Press support and guidance for devising a campaign for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, including assistance with writing and issuing a press release.
• Marketing and advertising support for creating a campaign for Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
• In-kind foamex poster boards across selected Assembly sites.
• A technical operator for the season.
• Street team for the season.
• Advice and guidance on the future life of the work presented.
Total support valued at approximately £5,500.
Roxy Downstairs Venue Information
- Roxy Downstairs is an end-on theatre space with a raked auditorium of 60 seats.
- THE STAGE
- The performance area is 5m wide by 3m deep and is covered in black dance floor.
- The stage is raised 90mm above floor level.
- Black box, no wing space and no crossover.
- The underside of the grid is at 4.4m from the stage.
- There are no flying facilities.
- LIGHTING AND SOUND
- The lighting and sound control positions are located together at the rear left of the auditorium.
- it may be possible for one person to operate.
- DRESSING ROOM
- This is shared by all companies performing in the venue and is located to the rear of the venue separated from the theatre by a standard sized single door.
- There is no backstage storage area; any props will be stored in the dressing room and we recommend that all companies keep their scenery/props requirements to an absolute minimum.
- The venue is on the lower ground floor with access from the street by way of a staircase.
- All set items are required to pass easily through a standard door 97cm wide x 2m high.
For full venue specifications please click here.
How to apply
Please complete our online application form (deadline Friday 10th January 2020 at 5.00pm)
A shortlist of applicants will be interviewed as part of the selection process. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in any event.
If you have any questions then please contact Luke Holbrook ([email protected]) for a confidential discussion.